Experts persist Mexican students not burned at dumpsite

Satellite pictures prove that 43 Mexican students who disappeared last year were not burned at dumpsite as authorities have stated

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Mexico has also seen repeated protests demanding justice for the victims

Independent investigators said Monday that experts from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights have rejected the legal outcome that 43 students were murdered and incinerated at the garbage site in the town of Cocula in September 2014.

Alejandro Valencia, an attorney and member of the commission panel, told in a news conference that satellite photographs gathered from the attorney general's office "show a location for only one fire that does not correspond to Cocula's coordinates."

Prosecutors say police in the neighboring city of Iguala grabbed the kids after they seized buses and handed them over to a drug gang.

The gang later killed them and burned their bodies.

However, children’s families came up with doubts over the official investigation as the experts published a report in September saying no proof found that there was a fire at the landfill.

Upon the objections to the result of the investigation, the attorney general's office decided to run another forensic investigation at the incident scene with international experts.

As the case attracted international attention, authorities have also formed a new investigative team working only on the case.

Upon the official investigation, several people have been arrested while numerous protests have taken place demanding justice for victims and damaged the government's reputation.

The case that caused repeated protests has proven to be a big challenge for Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto's administration.

TRTWorld and agencies