Five Black Lives Matter protesters shot in Minneapolis

Local media reports say five protestors participating in Black Lives Matter rally in Minneapolis shot, injured by “white supremacists”

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Protestors, activists, and community members listen to a speech by Nekima Levy-Pounds, Minneapolis NAACP president, at a candlelight vigil held for Jamar Clark outside the 4th police precinct November 20, 2015

Updated Nov 25, 2015

Five people were shot and injured during a Black Lives Matter protest on Monday in Minneapolis, according to a police post on Twitter on Tuesday. None of the victims are suffering from life threatening injuries and all of them have been taken to hospitals.

On Monday, a large group of people gathered in Minneapolis to demand video footage that the police are hesitant in releasing. This video footage shows the moment of an unarmed young African American man being shot by police on October 15.

Twenty four-year-old Jamar Clark was shot by police in the head as he was being handcuffed, witnesses say.

The Black Lives Matter movement against police violence towards black people has been internationally recognised after 18-year old young black man Michael Brown was shot dead by police gunfire in August 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri, and another man named Eric Garner died after a police officer held him in a chokehold in July of the same year.

A banner held during the protests outside the 4th Precinct police station November 20, 2015 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A spokesperson for the Black Lives Matter movement was quoted by the Star Tribune newspaper as saying, "A group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights."

Three while male suspects are currently being by investigated by police in relation to the incident.

The police stated “numerous 911 calls came in reporting that five people had been shot.”

"Dozens of officers responded almost immediately, attending to victims and secured the scene," the police statement said.

However, protesters blame the police, saying that the assault could have been stopped days before the incident after video footage appeared online showing two armed white men threatening #JusticeForJamar protesters.

Jamar Clark’s brother Eddie Sutton had expressed concern on Tuesday over the safety of the protesters in their camp site.

"Thank you to the community for the incredible support you have shown for our family in this difficult time. We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful," Sutton said before adding, "But in light of tonight's shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th Precinct ended and onto the next step."


TRTWorld and agencies