Michigan serial shooting leaves at least 6 people dead

Attacker opens fire killing at least six people and wounding three others in random shootings in Michigan

Photo by: Reuters (Archive)
Photo by: Reuters (Archive)

At least seven people were killed in a random shooting that took place in Michigan on Saturday.

Updated Feb 22, 2016

At least six people were shot and killed in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area on Saturday night in a series of seemingly random shootings, according to authorities who said they had the suspected gunman in custody.

"We seem to be dealing with a worst-case scenario, someone driving around shooting," said Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Paul Matyas.

According to local media, four people were shot dead at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Texas Township and two more died at a Seelye Kia dealership, in Kalamazoo.

Police were first called to a Kalamazoo County apartment building where a woman shot multiple times and left in critical condition, Matyas said.

After couple of hours, they were called the second time when two people were shot dead and another wounded in a car dealership.

Matyas said that four people were killed and the fifth person was severely wounded in a third shooting scene in Cracker Barrel parking lot, where the gunman opened fire on people in their cars after having a brief conversation.

The public safety department described the suspect as a male, aged about 50, and was believed to be driving a dark coloured Chevy HHR SUV with chrome wheels, adding that vehicle may have some damage.

Public Safety Chief Jeff Hadley said a “strong suspect” was in custody and the police said they had apprehended the shooter, reported WWMT television on its website early on Sunday.

Victims and shooting scenes shared no relation apart from the suspect. No motive for the seemingly random shootings had been determined.

The reports could not be verified due to inaccessibility of authorities, but the number of deaths are confirmed through media interviews posted on their web sites.

Identities of the victims were not released but the local media reported one of the dead was an eight-year-old boy.

TRTWorld and agencies