New York State governor says blast was an 'act of terrorism'

Governor of New York State, Andrew Cuomo, has described Saturday's bomb blast in New York city as an 'act of terror,' but stated that as yet there doesn't seem to be an international link.

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo(L) and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio(R) arrive at the scene of an explosion on West 23rd Street September, 18, 2016 in New York.

At least 29 people were injured after an explosion rocked Manhattan’s Chelsea neighbourhood, at around 8:30pm on Saturday night.

New York’s fire department said those injured were treated for various cuts, scrapes and other minor injuries from shattered glass and other debris at local hospitals. One person was seriously injured but his condition was not disclosed.

New York’s mayor Bill de Blasio initially said the blast was "intentional" but that there was no evidence of a connection to terrorism.

"It is too early to determine what the incident was caused by. We believe it was intentional. A full investigation is under way," he said.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio (2-R) and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (3-R) stand in front of a mangled dumpster while touring the site of an explosion that occurred in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York on September 18, 2016.

However, the governor of New York State, Andrew Cuomo, stated on Sunday that the explosion was "obviously an act of terrorism" although he added that so far it doesn't seem to have had an international component.

He told reporters, after touring the scene of the explosion, that "whoever placed these bombs, we will find and they will be brought to justice."

"They want to instil terror. They want to make you worry about going into New York. We're not going to let them instil fear."

Cuomo also stated that all the 29 people injured in the blast have been released from hospital.

Police combing the scene around the explosion found a pressure cooker connected to a cell phone with wires attached, Reuters reported, citing US network CNN. The device was removed safely.


The White House said President Barack Obama, who was attending a congressional dinner had been informed.

"The president will be updated as additional information becomes available," an official from the White House said.

Both presidential nominees Republican candidate Donald Trump and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton reacted to the blast.

 "I must tell you that just before I got off the plane, a bomb went off in New York. And nobody knows exactly what's going on,"  Trump told supporters at a rally in Denver.  Trump called for "tough" measures to be taken, without specifying.

"We better get very tough folks. We better get very, very tough," he said.

Hillary Clinton says she is waiting for more details on what caused the explosion in Manhattan's Chelsea neighbourhood.

Clinton said she was waiting for more details to emerge. 

"I think it's always wiser to wait until you have information before making conclusions," she said

New York’s mayor also said there was no evidence linking the Manhattan explosion to a pipe bomb blast in nearby New Jersey, hours earlier.

An explosive device went off in a trash can in a New Jersey beach town on Saturday, along the route of a charity race to benefit military veterans. About 5,000 people were set to run the race.

The pipe bomb exploded in a trash can, along the route of a charity race to benefit military veterans, but no injuries were reported.  Investigators are treating the New Jersey blast as a possible act of terrorism.

TRTWorld and agencies