Pilot programme kicks off from Costa Rica

First group of stranded migrants fly out of Costa Rica as part of pilot programme

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Cuban migrants rests at a temporary shelter in the border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua in Penas Blancas, Costa Rica on December 24, 2015

A group of Cuban migrates have been airlifted to El Salvador to continue their passage toward the United States.

Last month, Central American countries agreed on a pilot programme to allow stranded Cuban’s, in closed borders, to allow passage toward the US.

With the closure of Nicaragua’s border in November, nearly 8,000 Cuban migrants were stranded near Nicaragua’s northern border with Costa Rica.

After Costa Rica issued travel visas to more than 1,000 Cuban migrants, it triggered a “humanitarian crisis” in the South American country. 

"The pilot operation ... has been successful so far," said Costa Rica's Foreign Minister, Manuel Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said that delegates from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Mexico and Honduras will gather next week and assess the first trip.

"We would hope ... that maybe about a week after [that meeting] we can put this plan into effect daily."

He also said that they intend to run at least two planes a day.

TRTWorld and agencies