S Korea, US say N Korea nuclear test should have consequences

Pentagon says US defence secretary, South Korean defence minister agree that North Korea’s recent nuclear test “should have consequences”

Photo by: AP (Archive )
Photo by: AP (Archive )

US Defence Secretary Ash Carter, left, answers a reporter's questions during a joint news conference with South Korean Defense Minister Han Min Koo after the 47th Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) at Defense Ministry in Seoul, South Korea on Nov

Pentagon stated on Wednesday that the US Defence Secretary Ash Carter and his South Korean counterpart Han Min-koo discussed North Korea’s recent nuclear test which they described as “an unacceptable and irresponsible provocation."

"Secretary Carter and Minister Han agreed that any such test would be an unacceptable and irresponsible provocation and is both a flagrant violation of international law and a threat to the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula and the entire Asia-Pacific region," Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement.

“Carter and Han agreed that North Korea's provocations should have consequences," he continued.

Pentagon underlined the cooperation between the two countries reaffirming the US commitment to defend South Korea which includes “all aspects of the United States' extended deterrence."

“The secretary and minister reaffirmed that the international community does not and will not accept North Korea as a nuclear state, and pledged that both sides would coordinate appropriate alliance responses to these provocations.”

North Korea announced on Wednesday morning that a test of a miniaturised hydrogen nuclear device had been successfully accomplished and underlined it as a significant improvement in the isolated state's strike power.

The move has been condemned by the international community as the UN Security Council vowed to work on putting forward new measures during an emergency meeting held on Wednesday.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, Chinese Foreign Ministry and many others denounced North Korea and urged the country to abandon nuclear weapons programme.

TRTWorld and agencies