The Mexican tourists who survived the deadly Egyptian air strike returned home on Friday, as Mexican government warned citizens not to travel to Egypt due to security concerns.
Six Mexican tourists, five females and a male, were brought back to their country on the presidential plane sent by President, Enrique Nieto accompanied by the Mexican Foreign Minister
Egyptian security forces “accidentally killed” at least 12 people, including two Mexicans, and injured 10 others after they mistakenly opened fire on a tourist convoy on Sunday, according to the Egyptian Interior Ministry, it was an accident and the security forces believed they were engaging militants.
Injured Mexican tourists stated that they were also attacked by helicopters and aircraft, after they stopped for a short break during their safari.
Mexican Foreign Minister, Claudia Ruiz Massieu traveled on Tuesday to Cairo, to bring the survivors and remains of the victims back to Mexico.
Some local media outlets, reported that the tourist convoy also received gunfire from the Egyptian security forces, as the tourists were trying to flee the scene.
However, Massieu said none of the survivors had been shot in the accident, adding that all the survivors were in stable condition.
She also warned Mexicans about traveling to Egypt.
“Reconsider or delay plans to travel to Egypt given social and political instability, as well as the threat of terrorist attacks or the actions of armed forces to confront them,” she said.
The incident sparked heavy condemnations by Mexican authorities, calling on Egypt to conduct an “exhaustive investigation.”
"What happened makes us indignant and has hurt all Mexicans," she said during a news conference at the airport.
"We are evaluating all avenues of diplomacy and international human rights that we can take."
Meanwhile, the office of the Egyptian general prosecutor has issued a gag order for the investigation of the incident, during which Mexican tourists were killed after they parked their car for a barbecue at a tourist site.
The injured Mexicans were immediately taken to hospitals by helicopters to continue their recovery.