The landmark nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers - the US, Britain, France, Russia, Germany and China, also referred to as the P5 + 1 - has been unanimously endorsed by the United Nations (UN) Security Council in a morning meeting on Monday.
The resolution, cosponsored by all 15 - five permanent and 10 non-permanent - council members and adopted on Monday in New York, authorises a series of measures that pave the way to lifting UN sanctions on Iran.
In a speech made last Tuesday in the White House, however US President Barack Obama warned that if Iran deviates from measures framed in the agreement, all sanctions “will snap back into place.”
In exchange for ending sanctions, Iran agreed to limit sensitive nuclear work for at least 15 years, limit its uranium enrichment activities to a single facility for ten years and to allow regular access to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
According to Iranian News Agency (IRNA), Iranian nuclear enrichment will continue past the completion of the deal in coordination and cooperation with the six powers, and that working will be sustainable on key centrifuges.
Under the deal, Tehran would have the right to challenge the UN request for site inspection and an arbitration board composed of Iran and the six world powers would have to decide on the issue.
Iran's acceptance in principle of granting access to military sites will give the IAEA extra authority in its attempts to go to the site and its demands — previously rejected by Tehran — the deal means economic prosperity for the country, with almost no chance of military aggression against any other country in particular.
Iran also accepted a so-called "snapback" plan that will restore the pulled back sanctions in 65 days if the country violates the deal agreed with six world powers to curb the country's nuclear programme, diplomats told Reuters on Tuesday.
The diplomats said a UN arms embargo would remain in place for five years and UN missile sanctions would stay in place for eight years.