US admits role in civilian deaths in Syria

US Central Command admits responsibility for death of two civilians in anti-DAESH air strikes in Syria in July

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

A girl carrying a baby inspects damage at a site hit in the town of Douma, eastern Ghouta in Damascus, Syria in this January 10, 2016

Updated Jan 23, 2016

Authorities in the US have admitted that five air strikes carried out in Syria and Iraq between July 4 and July 17, 2015 targeting the DAESH terrorist group killed at least two civilians and injured four.

According to assessments released by the US Central Command on Friday, the strikes were said to be the “likely” cause of the casualties.

Evidence presented by US Central Command revealed that one civilian was killed on July 4 near the Syrian city of Raqqa while US jets carried out strikes against 16 DAESH brigades.

The other civilian was reportedly killed on July 11, again near Raqqa, during air strikes against DAESH.

“We deeply regret the unintentional loss of life and injuries resulting from those strikes and express our deepest sympathies to the victims’ families and those affected,” the US Central Command said in a statement published on its website.

“The Coalition takes all feasible precautions to avoid civilian casualties during the course of military operations. In all of the cases released today, assessments determined that although the strikes complied with the law of armed conflict and all appropriate precautions were taken, civilian casualties unfortunately did occur,” the statement added.

This is the fourth such statement from the US, which has led an air campaign against DAESH since June 2014.

The revelation comes after the US military last week disclosed that eight civilians were killed and three others were wounded in the air strikes April 12 and July 4 of last year.

Four civilians were also killed in the strikes conducted on March 13, 2015, while two children were killed in air strikes on November 5-6, 2014.

TRTWorld and agencies