US says civilians killed in air strikes against DAESH

US military says eight civilians killed in air strikes against DAESH between April 12 and July 4, 2015

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Members of Iraq's elite counter-terrorism service patrol as smoke billows in the background following a reported air strike by the US-led coalition on December 29, 2015 on the outskirts of Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's Anbar province.

Updated Jan 16, 2016

The US military on Friday disclosed that eight civilians were killed and three others were wounded in the air strikes targeting DAESH in Iraq and Syria between April 12 and July 4 of last year.

This is the third such statement from the country, which leads an air campaign against the terrorist group since June 2014.

Previously, total number of civilian casualties disclosed was 6, including 2 children.

The US military said the latest deaths disclosed occurred during five separate air strikes.

It said, in one of the incidents three unidentified civilians were killed when a car and a motorcycle entered an area where a “high-value individual” was targeted.

While the military was targeting DAESH tactical units, three were killed in Soluk, Syria on June 11 and two others on April 12 in Huwayjah, Iraq.

"We continue to review additional claims of civilian casualties and will provide additional information in the future," US Central Command said in a statement.

As of Jan.13, US-led coalition targeting DAESH positions in Syria and Iraq have conducted 9,627 air strikes, 6,393 of which conducted in the latter.

TRTWorld and agencies