The United States has not yet determined who was behind the terrorist attack that killed 28 people in the Turkish capital Ankara, US Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes said on Thursday.
In a news briefing, Rhodes said, "We as a government have not settled upon assignment of responsibility," after he condemned the attack.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday that the first findings of the interior minister indicate that terrorist group PKK's Syrian affiliate PYD is responsible for the attack.
Referring to Wednesday’s attack, Turkish Prime Minsiter Davutoglu said in a televised speech that, "Yesterday's attack was directly targeting Turkey and the perpetrator is the YPG and the divisive terrorist organisation PKK. All necessary measures will be taken against them."
YPG is the armed wing of PYD, which is considered by Turkey as the Syrian extension of PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the EU.
"We've made clear to the Turks that in all of our engagements with the YPG and other Kurdish elements that we make very clear to them the importance of our alliance with Turkey and the importance of them not engaging in efforts that would undermine what should be our focus, which is the shared threat of ISIL [DAESH]," Rhodes said.
Both PKK and PYD have denied involvement in the bombing as a senior member of the PKK said that they do not have any idea concerning who is responsible for the attack.
A day after the Ankara bombing, Turkish General Staff said in a statement on Thursday that six soldiers had died and one has been critically injured in the bomb attack perpetrated by PKK terrorists who were in an armoured military vehicle in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir.
More than 300 security officers have died in PKK terror attacks in Turkey since the group’s umbrella organisation, the KCK, unilaterally ended a two-and-a-half-year-long ceasefire with the government on July 11 last year and threatened Turkey with attacks.