The Pentagon on Thursday announced that the United States will be delivering an extra 75 US troops and other assets to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in order to assure the security of peacekeepers.
The distribution of assets includes a light infantry platoon, forward surgical teams, equipment and vehicles.
Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook stated that their concern right now is over the safety and security of the US personnel in the region.
The announcement came after a bomb attack which injured six soldiers including four Americans who were assigned to the Multinational Force and Observer (MFO) peacekeeping mission.
”Planning began before that incident,” Cook said.
The MFO is based in Sinai, the peninsula that lies between Israel, the Gaza Strip and the Suez Canal and was created as a result of the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.
Majority of the more than 700 US troops currently based in the Sinai are in the southern part of the peninsula, said the Pentagon spokesman.
Militants are suspected of killing several border guards last month in North Sinai, urging Egypt to deliver protected vehicles and hundreds of troops in the biggest build-up in the demilitarised zone since Egypt's war with Israel in 1973.