Afghan security forces kill 40 Taliban in Kunduz offensive

Taliban militants attack northern province of Kunduz, delaying President Ashraf Ghani’s India visit

Updated Jul 28, 2015

At least 40 militants were killed in the northern province of Kunduz in Afghanistan on Monday when Taliban militants attacked police and army checkpoints, causing several hours of delay for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s India visit.

Afghan security forces announced 12 Afghan security forces were also killed in the clashes as hundreds of Taliban militants attacked Kunduz province, where used to be a stronghold by Taliban until the United States coalition forces drove them from the city in 2001.

"The threat level is very high, but with new reinforcements, our security forces have gained morale and god willing, we will win the fight," said Abdul Waseh Basel, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

Taliban officially announced last week they would start a spring offensive against what they identified as “enemies,” referring to Afghan security forces. The Afghan security forces have been on their own since NATO forces have been withdrawing from the country.

Afghan Presidential spokesman Ajmal Obidy said the President Ghani’s delayed visit occurred late on Monday in order to have an urgent meeting with the NATO General John Campbell at the presidential palace to discuss the Taliban assault Kunduz province.

TRTWorld and agencies