China calls Six-Party group over North Korea’s nuclear test

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying calls on participating states to gather and show involvement in Six-Party Talks to solve North Korea’s problematic nuclear test

Photo by: AP (Archive )
Photo by: AP (Archive )

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying called on the participating states to gather and be involved in the Six-Party Talks to solve the problematic North Korea’s nuclear test.

The Six-Party group, including North Korea, South Korea, China, the US, Russia and Japan, target to find a peaceful settlement to the security concerns the Six-Party talks over the North Korean nuclear weapons programme.

Hua Chunying said during a daily press conference on Thursday that all relevant parties should respond to find a solution the North Korean nuclear issue through the Six-Party Talks as soon as possible for regional peace and stability.

She stated that “The [North] Korean nuclear issue is deep-seated and complex. The Chinese side always believes that reasonable concerns of all parties should be addressed through dialogues within the framework of the Six-Party Talks so as to realise denuclearisation and long-term stability on the Korean Peninsula.”

The Spokesperson also underlined that North Korean authorities did not inform China before its nuclear test, indicating that they opposed the last Pyongyang nuclear test.

“Its action will hamper the normal development of China-DPRK relations.”

She also criticised US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump who called China to do more over the nuclear test and close its border and cut its trade with North Korea.

Chunying said they accused China of not doing enough but they should ask themselves how many constructive interference they have made.

“It is more critical for all relevant parties to bear in mind the larger picture of regional peace and stability and return to the Six-Party Talks as soon as possible.”

North Korea announced on Wednesday morning that a test of a miniaturised hydrogen nuclear device had been successfully accomplished and underlined it as a significant improvement in the isolated state's strike power.

After North Korea reported its test of a hydrogen bomb, the international community strongly condemned the move.

This has been the fourth nuclear test North Korea has conducted. Between 2006 and 2013, North Korea conducted three nuclear tests that were condemned internationally. Following the 2013 nuclear test, China joined the UN Security Council in a sanctions resolution.

It has not been determined what action, if any, will be taken in reaction to North Korea’s statement over the fourth round of nuclear testing.