China concerned after Indonesia blows up fishing boat

China expresses concern over Indonesian attempt to destroy Chinese fishing boats in the country’s waters

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

China voiced concerns after Indonesia blew up 41 foreign fishing vessels with dynamite including Chinese one on Wednesday as part of an ongoing campaign against poaching.

The boats from China, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines were destroyed by Indonesian authorities with public displays at several sites, according to the local media.Navy spokesman Manahan Simorangkir said the navy sank 35 boats and the coast guard police sank 6 another .

Indonesia maintains a policy of battling poaching by seizing and sinking vessels illegally venturing into its waters.  

"Without the continued fight against illegal fishing, we won't be able to improve the welfare of our fishermen," Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti told The Jakarta Post newspaper.

Many boats have been sunk by the Indonesian government since President Joko Widodo took power last year, according to Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said they have requested information about the detonation of the Chinese vessel.

Indonesia had not seized any Chinese fishing boat since the last destruction of a boat in 2009.   

The destruction of the boats comes as tensions run high in the region due to territorial claims over the South China Sea by China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Taiwan and the Philippines.

TRTWorld and agencies