Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march

Authorities impose restriction in Srinagar to prevent planned demonstration following killings

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Indian authorities declared a curfew in parts of Srinagar and north Kashmir on Friday to halt a planned protests in Sopore after suspected gunmen have killed six persons in the last three weeks. "I have not seen a single person moving outside," said Shan Mohammad from his home near a hospital in Sopore.

There was high level of security measures In Khanyar, Safa Kadal, Nowhatta, Rainawari, M R Gunj, and Kral Khud areas of downtown Srinagar, hundreds of security forces patrolled around of the city, additionally shops and schools were closed as authorities applied similar restrictions in other towns of Kashmir such as Valley, according to police and residents.

Measures were enhanced also around the Maisuma police station area Lal Chowk and Parimpora which connect the highway from Srinagar to Sopore in north Kashmir.

"No one will be allowed to take part in any protest march anywhere," a top police officer from Srinagar told AFP.

"There are police and CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) everywhere. No one is allowed to move out on the street," Srinagar resident Shakeel Ahmed said by telephone to the AFP.  

On the eve of planned march, separatist leaders and many activists were arrested along the valley, separatist groups announced.  

Hurriyat Conference chairman, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who is under the house detention tried to break curfew but police caught him outside the Srinagar, his party said.

Movement of Moderate Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Mohammad Shraf Sehrai, Ayaz Akbar, Shabir Ahmad Shah and Nayeem Khan had their share from the curbs as Geelani.  

Geelani and Mirwaiz had demanded the residents to march from their districts to northern Sopore in where four separatist activists have been killed by gunmen since June 9.

Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was detained in Chadoora area of Budgam district on Wednesday and then transmitted to Kothi Bagh police station, according to police official.

Police blame Lashkar-e-Islam outfit for the killings which broke away from pro-Pakistan rebel group Hizbul Mujahideen. But the faction rejected the claims saying as security forces have killed two former rebels and other activists for three weeks.

Police identified the assailants as Abdul Qayoom Najar and Imtiyaz Ahmad Kandoo who operate under the shadow name of Lashkar-e-Islam outfit.

Authorities put $15,750 (1 million rupees) for two militants in exchange for each information.

TRTWorld and agencies