Debris found in Maldives not from flight MH370

Malaysia says debris tested so far 'not even plane material'

Malaysia announced on Friday that debris found on the Maldives does not belong to Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 after sending an investigation team to conduct tests. 

Malaysia's Minister of Transport, Seri Liow Tiong Lai said that the team on the island archipelago had made the decision based on items it had examined so far, AA reported.

"My team has witnessed the debris and most of them are negative. They are not related to MH370 and not even plane material," he told reporters.

The country sent the inspection team to the Republic of Maldives last Monday following news reports stating that unidentified debris have been found on the island nation in the Indian Ocean.

Islanders in Maldives alerted authorities after reportedly spotting unidentified debris that washed up along the northern atolls of the archipelago. Following the reports, Malaysia notified Madagascar and South Africa as well as the Indian Ocean nation of Mauritius, for possible debris sightings.

The latest report of found debris came after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed that the Boeing 777 wing fragment debris that were discovered on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean at the end of last month belongs to the missing MH370 flight.

The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went off the radar last March with 239 passengers and crew on board, with no leads or evidence to have been found, until last month.

Since last March, international efforts have been taking place, focusing on a broad expanse of the southern Indian Ocean off Australia. 

What went wrong during flight MH370 is still a mystery, however, the very first piece of evidence found from the aircraft indicated it crashed into the ocean. 



TRTWorld and agencies