Gunman found dead after police siege in Sydney

Gunman found dead after killing one and hurting two others, in police siege in Australia's Sydney

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Police lead a handcuffed man away from the scene of a shooting in the western Sydney suburb of Ingleburn, Australia, March 7, 2016.

A gunman who killed one person and injured two others, was found dead after police forces besieged the industrial complex in Australia's Sydney city. 

Reports said the man appeared to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police had gotten alarmed by gunfire just before 11 am in local time along with heavily armed special forces surrounding the area in the suburb of Ingleburn. 

A detective inspector from Macquarie Fields Local Area Command had earlier told a press conference that a 43-year-old had been killed, while two other men who sustained gunshot wounds were transported to a nearby hospital.

"One is undergoing emergency surgery, the other has superficial wounds to the lower part of his body," local media quoted Mark Brett as saying.

"It's at a delicate stage. I really can't give you any more information," he added, refusing to answer whether hostages were being held.

Police and emergency services personnel can be seen behind a road block at the scene of a shooting in the western Sydney suburb of Ingleburn, March 7, 2016.  [Reuters]

The ABC quoted an unnamed Liverpool Hospital spokesperson saying the wounded were both in a stable condition.

One man was reportedly arrested at the scene for allegedly hindering police, who believe that the incident at the signage business is not terror-related.

A tactical operations unit, negotiators and paramedics had surrounded the evacuated area, while the gunman was believed to be armed with an automatic rifle, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

TRTWorld, AA