Indonesia identifies 5 Jakarta attackers, arrests 12 others

Indonesian police announce they have arrested 12 suspects linked to terror attacks on Jakarta and identified all 5 attackers

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Indonesian police stand guard at the site of this week's militant attack in central Jakarta, Indonesia, January 16, 2016.

Indonesian police on Saturday named the five men who carried out bomb and gun attacks in Jakarta on Thursday and also arrested 12 other suspects linked to the attack.

Jakarta police spokesperson Commissioner Mohammad Iqbal told reporters that all five of the attackers - aged between 25 to 42 - had been identified through their fingerprints.

"There were five suspected terrorists, and another man is being investigated. There is the possibility of more," Iqbal said, as quoted by Antara News.

The attacks on a Starbucks and traffic police post in Jakarta's commercial district led to the deaths of two civilians - Canadian Amer Quali Taher and Jakarta resident Rico Hermawan - and the five attackers.

At least 26 people were also injured in the terror attacks, which were later claimed by DAESH.

Neighbouring Malaysia also announced on Saturday that its police have arrested four suspected DAESH militants, one of them hours before a planned terror attack.

Jakarta police said the 12 people were arrested in west and east Java and in Kalimantan on suspicion of being linked to the bombings.

Head of police General Badrodin Haiti told reporters that the firearms the group used were made in the Philippines, but did not say if there was any connection with the armed groups operating in the country's troubled southern Mindanao region.

The attackers received funds to carry out the attacks through Western Union transfers.

"One of the people detained had received financial transfers from ISIS [DAESH], to fund the operation," Haiti said.

He said the amounts transferred were "quite large" and channelled through Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian national fighting for DAESH in Syria who police say organised the Jakarta attacks from Syria.

Jakarta Police medical division chief officer Musyafak shows a photograph of dead militant Afif, also known as Sunakin, during a press conference at the police headquarters in Jakarta, January 16, 2016

The police said one of the attackers they named, Afif, was released from prison after seven years, where he refused to cooperate with a "de-radicalisation programme."

Police spokesman Anton Charliyan said the Jakarta five and the other 12 suspects had plans to attack cities elsewhere in Indonesia.

"There were general plans targeting certain places like police and government offices, foreigners or those cooperating with foreign entities," Charliyan told reporters

Authorities have blocked more than a dozen websites expressing support for Thursday's attacks.

TRTWorld and agencies