Malaysia confirms found debris belonging to MH370

Malaysian PM confirms that recently discovered wing fragment debris belonging to Malaysian Airlines MH370 which lost from scene while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing 17 months ago

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Aug 6, 2015

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed on early Thursday that a Boeing 777 wing fragment debris which was discovered near the Reunion Island in Indian Ocean at the end of last month was from the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 plane.  

"The international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370," Najib said in a televised statement.

"I would like to assure all those affected by this tragedy that the government of Malaysia is committed to do everything within our means to find out the truth of what happened," Razak said, by adding that, "MH370's disappearance marked us as a nation. We mourn with you, as a nation."

Malaysia and several other countries have been investigating the missing MH370 plane which vanished into thin air with 239 passengers, including 152 Chinese nationals and crew on board en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014.

The searching efforts with the help of 65 aircraft and 95 ships to find the missing plane could not have been succeeded so far about the plane’s drop in the Asia-Pacific region, but debris from the wing of a plane was found by workers in Saint-André last month in the coast of Reunion island in Indian Ocean.

The flaperon later on was sent to Toulouse city in France to be investigated in order to verify if the debris belongs to Boeing 777 MH370 last week.

Malaysian PM Razak said there was no emergency call before the crash, adding even greater mystery to its disappearance.

He believed that the recently discovered debris was “very likely” to belong to the missing flight when he told reporters after the debris was discovered.

TRTWorld and agencies