Malaysia's government said that they will send an inspection team to the Republic of Maldives on Monday following news reports stating unidentified debris have been found on the island nation in the Indian Ocean.
The team will attempt to determine whether the debris found are from the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, but the government says it’s premature to establish any connection.
“Once it is determined to be aircraft debris, discussions will be held to determine next steps in terms of the process of analysis,” the Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said, according to Rueters.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed last week that the Boeing 777 wing fragment debris that were discovered on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean at the end of last month belongs to the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 plane.
The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went off the radar last March with 239 passengers and crew on board, with no leads or evidence to have been found, until last week.
Since last March, international efforts have been taking place, focusing on a broad expanse of the southern Indian Ocean off Australia.
What went wrong during flight MH370 is still a mystery, however, the very first piece of evidence found from the aircraft indicated it crashed into the ocean.
Islanders on Maldives alerted authorities after reportedly spotting unidentified debris that washed up along the northern atolls of the archipelago. Following the reports, Malaysia notified Madagascar and South Africa as well as the Indian Ocean nation of Mauritius, for possible debris sightings.