A Pakistani official said on Friday it launched an inquiry over a case against "unknown persons" registered in connection with last month's attack on an Indian air base in which seven Indian soldiers and all six attackers were killed.
Following the attack on January 2, Indian investigators had claimed that phone intercepts showed the attackers came from Pakistan.
On Saturday, a senior official at Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said the latest move may pave the way for a restart of talks between Pakistan and India, which were delayed by New Delhi at the time.
Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Thursday that the Indian government has been sharing information about the attack but Pakistani government was acting slowly.
"The government of India has been continuously giving evidence of so many things," Parrikar said in a televised interview on India Today. "If someone is serious, he can definitely act."
A provincial minister in Lahore city, Rana Sanaullah said that the case was registered based on the information provided by India.
Pakistan announced that it has arrested “several individuals” connected to Jaish e Mohammad militant group which is believed to be linked to the air base assault.
Pakistan later took the group's head, Maulana Masood Azhar, into custody for questioning.
India is accusing Pakistan of turning a blind eye to militants who are conducting assaults on Indian forces by crossing the border in the disputed Kashmir region.
The region is divided between India and Pakistan and claimed by both countries in its entirety.
Pakistani officials insist that the attack was aimed at derailing the Pakistan-India peace process.