Second Bangkok blast suspect delivers backpack to bomber

Second suspect arrested in Erawan Shrine bombing admits to handing over backpack to bomber

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Police escorted Yusufu Mieraili to the blast site and the train station to re-enact the moments before and after the blast

Thai police said on Wednesday that the second suspect involved in the Bangkok blast, Yusufu Mieraili - who was arrested on the Thai border with Cambodia on Sept. 1 - admitted that he had met the alleged shrine bomber outside a train station and handed the device in a backpack to the bomber.

Mieraili was taken to the train station in Bangkok on Wednesday to perform a re-enactment of the alleged handover. He allegedly handed a heavy backpack to the bomber, who was seen on CCTV, wearing a yellow t-shirt and leaving a black backpack at the blast site.

Thai national police spokesman Prawut Thawornsiri told reporters that, "this place is where he met with the yellow-shirt man to exchange a backpack," indicating the Hua Lamphong train station.

"Yusufu said the backpack that he carried was heavy and it was a bomb," he added.

Mieraili told police that he had carried the backpack to the station from the apartment police raided in the outskirts of Bangkok.

Prawut said that after the handover, the two suspect separated and went their own ways.

It is still uncertain who made the bomb and placed it inside the backpack. Prawut has not yet disclosed if Mieraili is suspected of making the bomb or if he's only responsible for carrying the backpack. 

The first arrested suspect, Adem Karadag, is also in custody however, the bomber has not yet been found.

Police also escorted Mieraili to the blast site, the Erawan Shrine, to re-enact the moments before and after the blast.

He was taken to the apartment on Tuesday where police found the bomb-making materials and fake passports to reaffirm that he had stayed there.

The suspect, Yusufu Mieraili was arrested last week near the Thai border as he was trying to cross into Cambodia. He was transferred into police custody on Monday. His nationality has not been confirmed, but he was carrying a Chinese passport. The national police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri told reporters during a news conference - following the arrest of the suspect - that he was carrying a piece of paper with a formula on how to make a bomb.

He confessed on Tuesday to possessing illegal explosives.

According to police sources, local media quoted that the alleged mastermind of Thailand's deadliest bomb attack fled the country a day before the blast. The suspect and others wanted by police are most likely overseas.

Thai police also revealed a photo of a new suspect, 27-year-old Abudureheman Abudusataer, also known as "Izan" or "Ishan."


TRTWorld and agencies