Seventy-five get out of quarantine from MERS in south China

Seventy-five people released from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome quarantine in southern China

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Local health authorities said on Thursday 75 people who had been in quarantine because of having close contact with a man that has contracted Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) have been released in China’s southern province of Guangdong.

A man from South Korea, with whom the 75 people had close contact, tested positive for MERS when he was in Guangdong on May 29. The Guangdong Health and Family Planning Commission announced the patient is now in stable condition.

The commission said 75 people were released from quarantine; 44 on Tuesday and the rest on Wednesday after testing negative from MERS twice.

"The outbreak of the MERS is really like a fight of epidemic prevention, in which we have done a good job. We've fought hard until the midnight of June 10, or 24:00 last night. All people in close contact with the person who had contracted MERS have lived up to the medical standard to be released from MERS quarantine," Huizhou City Health and Family Planning Administration’s director Xu Angao.

Experts from Guangzhou Center for Disease Control and Prevention said the 75 people still at risk that the disease may spread although they were released from quarantine.

The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome has infected 126 people in South Korea and killed 11 since it was first diagnosed just over three weeks ago in a businessman who had returned from a trip to the Middle East.

MERS is caused by a coronavirus from the same family as the one that caused SARS. It is more deadly than SARS but does not spread as easily, at least for now.

The first human case was recorded in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

There is yet no cure or vaccine.

TRTWorld and agencies