A suicide bomber blew himself up and killed 21 people and wounded 31 others in a crowded market in Almar district of Faryab province in Afghanistan on Wednesday.
"The attack was carried out by an elderly suicide bomber using a motorbike at around 11:45 a.m. Wednesday in a busy bazaar of the district," Almar District Chief Mohammad Saleh Monshi told Anadolu Agency.
No group has claimed responsibility for the Wednesday’s suicide attack.
The attack was carried out while the Afghan government and Taliban group continue peace negotiations.
"Women, children and at least one Afghan army soldier were among those killed," Faryab governor Abdul Sattar Barez told AFP.
According to Afghan local officials, Taliban seized more than 100 villages in Faryab from security forces.
Earlier this week, hundreds of government forces personnel have been deployed in the province for a counter offensive to push the Taliban back.
On July 7, the Afghan government met with Taliban representatives on Tuesday in Pakistani capital of Islamabad to begin official direct talks for the first time.
The Taliban demands for a complete withdrawal of foreign forces from the conflict-ridden country.
The US pledged to keep an additional 1,000 soldiers in Afghanistan this year, bringing the number of its residual troops there to 10,800 in years to come.
Afghan government has negotiated with Taliban in Qatar, China, Norway and Dubai in recent months to find a way to end more than a decade of conflict in the country
An estimated 40,000 civilians were killed in Afghanistan since 2001 as a result of fighting between Taliban and Afghan troops backed by foreign forces.