Suicide car bomb hits Kabul, kills 12

Suicide car bomb targeting foreigners’ convoy in Afghanistan’s capital kills 12, wounds 66

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Afghan security personnel (L) keeps watch next to a damaged car belonging to foreigners, after a bomb blast in Kabul, Afghanistan August 22, 2015

A suicide car bomb exploded in Kabul’s Macrorayan neighbourhood on Saturday, killing at least 12 and injuring 66 others.

The explosion happened near the private Shinozada Hospital, defined as the first private hospital of Afghanistan on its website.

Health official Kabir Amiry said “12 dead bodies and 66 wounded people were taken to several Kabul hospitals."

British and US soldiers as well as armed security contractors arrived at the scene minutes after the bombing.  

NATO spokesman Brian Tribus said that three foreign contractors had been killed.

Security sources said that the group that was targeted was foreign security contractors working for DynCorp International. The blast echoed across the city.

Wahidullah Mayar, the Foreign Ministry spokesman said that there's at least one foreigner among the killed.

Over a dozen civilian vehicles, including a school van and a pick-up truck were destroyed in the attack, according to Najib Danish, a Deputy Interior Ministry spokesman.

No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Taliban attacks in Afghanistan have increased since early July after both the Taliban and the Afghan government had confrmed the death of Taliban’s leader Mullah Omar,who has been dead for two years.

Taliban militants have killed more than 56 people in the country, in a series of attacks since early August.


TRTWorld and agencies