New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said on Saturday that a shooting carried out by a 15 year old in southwest Sydney’s Paramatta suburb appears to have been a politically motivated act of terror.
"This appears to have been an act of politically motivated violence so at this stage it appears to have been an act of terrorism,” said Scipione.
The 15 year old identified as Farad Jabar Khalil Mohammad was shot dead by officials on Friday afternoon after he gunned down a policeman leaving the the headquarters of the New South Wales Police.
Authorities reported that the gunman is believed to come from an Iraqi-Kurdish background and have been born in Iran.
The ABC was informed that the youth did not have a record with police authorities and that they “don't know anything about him.”
A search warrant was issued on Friday evening on the 15 years olds home where his laptops and iPads were seized for examination.
Police are currently probing for clues over the teens motivation as senior law enforcement officials say that it appears as though the boy had acted alone.
The victim, Curtis Cheng, was a 17-year veteran of the NSW Police, who worked in the finance department.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull shared deep condolences over the attack and has urged citizens to not to vilify the Muslim community.
"We must not vilify or blame the entire Muslim community for the actions of what is, in truth, a very, very small percentage of violent extremist individuals" said Turnbull.
"The Muslim community are our absolutely necessary partners in combating this type of violent extremism," he added.
The Australian Prime Minister also stressed the importance of unity as it was “shocking” to see the attack carried out by only a 15 year old boy.
“It underlines the importance of families, communities, leaders being very aware of whether young people are becoming radicalised,” he said.
A similar case was seen in September last year when 18 year old Numan Haider was shot dead by police after allegedly carrying out a knife attack on two Victorian Police officers.
In December, two hostages were killed when police stormed a central Sydney cafe to end a 17-hour siege. The gunman, Man Haron Monis, a self-styled sheik who harbored deep grievances against the Australian government and sought to align himself with the group Islamic State, was also killed.
Scipione said Australia is working hard to find a solution to the radicalisation of youth.
“It is a global matter at the moment….we just need to work out what it is that we can do to make this effective," he said.
Australia has concerns about ISIS luring young Australians to join the conflicts in Syria and Iraq and has been on high alert after a recent series of attacks were carried out by radicalised youth.
It is believed that at least 70 of its citizens are fighting ISIS and are backed by about 100 Australia-based "facilitators."