Taliban claims attack on Kabul guesthouse

Taliban claim responsibility after heavily armed gunmen attack guesthouse in diplomatic quarter of Kabul

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Four Taliban gunmen attacked a guesthouse in the diplomatic quarter of Afghanistan’s capital Kabul, where many embassies and government buildings are located, late on Tuesday night.

Afghan officials said the men, armed with assault rifles and a grenade launcher, were killed by government forces early on Wednesday. No other casualties have been reported so far.

The Afghan Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack, saying numerous "invaders" had been killed.

The identities of the occupants haven’t been determined by the police. Afghan and Western security forces said the insurgents could have been targeting a compound owned by a prominent political family, including among its members Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani -  son of late president Burhanuddin Rabbani, or a building next to it.

Late in April, the Taliban announced the launch of their "spring offensive," following the withdrawal of foreign forces from the country and taking advantage of the Afghan security forces’ lack of preparedness.

Two separate attacks killed 26 people in Afghanistan’s southern Kandahar province on Monday. Last week five people were killed in an attack on the Afghan Ministry of Justice.

Heavy attacks targeting foreigners have hit Kabul over the past two weeks, including a bomb attack on an EU vehicle near Kabul's airport which killed a British security contractor and two civilians.

TRTWorld and agencies