Afghanistan security officials said on Thursday that 14 were killed including four Indians, one Briton and one American after Wednesday’s storm to a guesthouse in the Afghan capital Kabul.
The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility on Thursday for the attack on the Park Palace guest house. A spokesman for the group, Zabihullah Mujahid, said in an emailed statement the attack aimed "of killing foreign citizens in retaliation for the U.S. and its allies supporting the Kabul government."
"The occupying forces should realize that they are not safe from our attacks under any cover or in any location," Mujahid said.
Late on Wednesday, gunman stormed the guesthouse and gunfight erupted between militants and Afghan security forces.
Kabul Police Chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi security forces rescued at least 44 people trapped inside the guesthouse after a five-hour siege.
The United States Embassy in Kabul has confirmed the death of an American national in the attack.
The Indian Embassy also stated that four Indian nationals were killed in the attack and three others were rescued and sheltered at the embassy.
"With regret we can confirm that a British dual national was killed in last night's attack on a Kabul guesthouse," a British embassy spokesman said on Thursday.
The late Wednesday’s attack was the second on the same day in Afghanistan.
Earlier on Wednesday, gunmen opened fire at a building in the southern province of Helmand during a meeting of the country's prominent Muslim clerics, killing at least seven people.
Responsibility of the Helmand attack has also been claimed by the Taliban who has been fighting against the United States-backed government in Kabul.
Late in April, the Taliban announced they started their “spring offensive,” taking advantage of Afghan security forces’ unprepared conditions after foreign forces had started withdrawing their missions in the country.