Taliban claimed responsibility for a truck bomb attack near Kabul's international airport hours after a suicide bomb attack in the Afghan capital on Monday.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said on Twitter that the second one was targeted at foreigners.
In the first attack, the suspected assailant detonated a suicide vest close to a police checkpoint near Kabul Airport on Monday.
No casualties have been reported following the attack.
The second bomber detonated an explosive-laden vehicle near the airport's main entrance, killing no one but injuring at least 28 people, according to Ismail Kawoosi, a spokesman for the Afghan Health Ministry.
The relationship between the bombings remains unclear.
After the incident, medical aid group Emergency, which runs a hospital in Kabul, said it received wounded victims at its surgical centre.
According to a spokesman from Taliban, dozens of foreigners had been killed or wounded. The claim has not been verified yet by the Afghan authorities.
The explosion follows a series of attacks in the Afghan capital in recent days.
A Taliban suicide car bomber had targeted a French restaurant close to the embassy’s location in Kabul on Friday, killing at least two Afghans, including a 12-year-old boy.
The spike in violence coincides with a new effort to restart peace talks with the Taliban after earlier meetings that were interrupted last July.