Thousands attend funerals of 21 Pakistani militants

Funerals for 21 Pakistani militants, said to have been killed by US drone strike in neighboring Afghanistan, hosts hundreds of mourners

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

Thousands attend funeral of militants in Dir killed in drone strike in Afghanistan

Thousands of people took part in funerals of 21 Pakistani militants who have died in a drone strike in Afghanistan, local officials and residents have noted that the total death toll currently stands at about 50.

The incident was conducted last week on a training camp in the eastern province of Khost near the border with Pakistan.

The strike were reportedly initiated by the United States but NATO who is fighting with the Taliban and other militants in Afghanistan, is yet to comment. 

Although the exact number of people killed are not clear, the Khost provincial governor Hukum Khan Habibi put the figure as high as 50.

Twenty one bodies have been sent to the upper and lower Dir districts in Pakistan's northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for burial, a local security official and residents told AFP on Sunday.

"I myself attended the funeral prayer for four fighters, villagers told me they were mujahideen," said Alamzeb Khan, a district official in lower Dir.

Khan also said, the coffins were covered with flags of Al Badr, the militant group of Pakistan related with Taliban, and people shouted jihadi slogans against US military in funeral.

"I fear that the number of fighters killed in the drone strike was high and we may receive more casualties," the security official told AFP.

Khost provincial police chief of Faizullah Ghairat stated that the attack was conducted by the US.

TRTWorld and agencies