A Taliban suicide car bomber targeted French restaurant “Le Jardin” popular with foreigners close the embassy area in the Afghan capital Kabul and has killed at least two Afghans, including a 12-year-old boy, and wounded 15 others on Friday.
"We can confirm a suicide car bomb attack on Le Jardin," Fraidoon Obaidi, the head of Kabul's Criminal Investigation Department, told AFP.
"We are busy extinguishing the fire at the scene... two Afghans have been killed and 15 others wounded," he added.
According to security sources, Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide attack and Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid on Twitter said several "invaders" had been killed or injured.
Large numbers of security force personnel are investigating the incident and have closed the site.
The incident came nearly two years after a popular Lebanese restaurant was targeted in the city, claiming 21 lives, including 13 foreigners.
The recent attack in the Afghan capital follows a series of attacks in December carried out by Taliban militants including an attack on a Spanish Embassy guesthouse in Kabul.
Last week suicide explosion near to Bagram Air Base outside Kabul had killed six American troops.
On Monday, suicide car bombings also killed at least one person and injured 13 others near Kabul Airport.
Afghan military forces are struggling to push out the Taliban militants who have taken control in the key Sangin District in Afghanistan's southern Helmand Province.
The attacks have coincided with efforts to revive the stalled peace process with Taliban that broke down in July.
Officials from Afghanistan, Pakistan, the United States and China are due to meet in Pakistan on Jan. 11 for a meeting aimed at laying the ground for talks with the militant group.