Chinese police announced that they shot and killed an Uighur man at a train station on Wednesday as he waited in ticket line with a brick on his hand.
Security measures were enhanced in train stations after a chain of knife-wielding attacks, one of them left 31 dead and injured hundreds in the southwestern city of Kunming.
Chinese authorities claim that the attacks were conducted by suspected separatists from Muslim Uighur people who live in far western region of Xinjiang.
Xi’an railway police said they warned him repeatedly to stop to attack passengers who were in line to buy tickets at 6am at Xi’an railway stations in the capital of China's Shaanxi Province but he didn’t take heed of the warnings, then police shot and wounded him.
"On duty police quickly got to the scene to stop [him], and after repeated warnings were ignored opened fire and injured [him]," police said in a brief message on the force's microblog.
The assailant died after he was hospitalised due to his serious injuries, police forces announced on the microblog site.
There has been no information about whether anyone else injured in the attack.
Killing of the Uighur Muslim by Chinese police came shortly after that some local departments banned fasting during Ramadan for Uighur People including party members, civil servants, students and teachers in Xinjiang.
Food safety officials also declared that last week, they will encourage halal restaurants to remain open during Ramadan, the government said on its website on Tuesday, according to Al Arabiya.