Thirty Taliban fighters were killed in two US air strikes carried out in Afghanistan’s southern Helmand province, a local Afghan Army spokesman said Saturday.
According to spokesman Mohamed Rasul Zazai, US warplanes struck two Taliban positions in Helmand’s Marjah area, killing 20 militants in the first air strike and another 10 in the second.
Speaking to reporters, Zazai said the second strike had targeted a bomb-making facility, although he refrained from revealing the nature of the first raid’s target.
The spokesman added that the air strikes had been carried out in coordination with Afghan security forces deployed in the region, stressing that they had not resulted in any civilian casualties.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, however, denied the army’s assertions, saying in a statement that all those killed in the twin US air strikes were civilians.