A Proton-M carrier rocket carrying a Mexican satellite malfunctioned and burnt up over Siberia soon after launch on Saturday, the latest in a series of mishaps for Russia's space industry.
The third stage of the rocket carrying the MexSat-1 communications satellite suffered a problem about 500 seconds after launch from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, Russian media quoted Russian space officials as saying.
Russia's space agency Roscosmos subsequently said in a statement that the satellite, booster and third stage burnt up almost entirely in the atmosphere with no evidence of anything falling to earth.
The agency also said that the accident happened at a height of 161 kilometres (100.04 miles) and that the satellite had been insured by the customer.
The cause of the accident was not immediately established. RIA news agency quoted one space official as saying that all launches of carrier rockets of this type would now be suspended.
Russia's workhorse Proton rocket, known at the time under its UR-500 code, made its first test flights in the mid-1960s.
It was originally designed as an intercontinental ballistic missile to carry a nuclear warhead targeting the Soviet Union's Cold War foe the United States. But it was never deployed as a nuclear weapon.
Russia's space industry, which pioneered space exploration with the launch of the first satellite and put the first man into space, has been haunted by accidents which have tarnished its reputation.
In late April, Russia abandoned a 2.6 billion rouble ($51 million) mission to supply the International Space Station, (ISS), after an unmanned Progress M-27M cargo ship, carrying almost 3 tonnes (2,722 kg) of supplies, was unable to dock with the ISS because of problems.
In July 2013, a Proton carrier rocket carrying three navigation satellites worth around $200 million crashed shortly after lift-off from the Russian-leased Baikonur cosmodrome.
Just a few hours before Proton's crash on Saturday, the Progress M-26M spaceship docked at the ISS failed to ignite its engines and correct the orbit of the space outpost, Russian media reported.
The lives of the crew are not in danger, they said.
The cause of the latest accident with the Proton rocket was not immediately established. RIA news agency quoted one space official as saying that all launches of carrier rockets of this type would be suspended