Belgium announces name of Paris attack linked dead gunmen

Belgium prosecutor announces Paris attack linked dead gunmen as Algerian national Mohamed Belkaid

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Prosecutor's office spokesman, Eric Van Der Sypt (unseen) and Thierry Werts, speaks to media.

A Belgian prosecutor announced on Wednesday the name of the gunman shot dead on Tuesday in Brussels, following a raid linked to investigations into the Paris attack, as Mohamed Belkaid, a 35-year-old Algerian living illegally in Belgium.

The prosecutor also said that they were holding two men, one who had been admitted to hospital near Brussels with a broken leg and were still assessing whether they had any connections to the shooting. 

On Tuesday, six Belgian and French police officers arrived to search a flat in a Brussels suburb and came under a barrage of automatic weapons fire through a door from at least two people barricaded inside, injuring four officers.

A special forces sharpshooter shot dead a gunman, Belkaid, when he opened fire at police from a window, prosecutors said.

Salah Abdeslam, who is the main suspect of Paris attacks, is still on the run.

On the night of November 13, the French capital, Paris, was shaken by multiple terror attacks targeting six different sites which caused 130 deaths and injured more than 300 others.

TRTWorld and agencies