Belgium releases 3 held over alleged New Year terror plot

Three suspects released after being detained on Thursday in relation to New Year's terror attack plan in Brussels

Photo by: AFP (Archive)
Photo by: AFP (Archive)

Soldiers stand guard in front of the central train station on Nov. 22, 2015, in Brussels, as the Belgian capital remained on the highest security alert level over fears of a Paris-style attack

Three people who had been detained on Thursday over the New Year's terror plot in Brussels have been released after interrogation, the country’s federal prosecutor said on Friday.

Belgian police detained six people in total during house searches with connection to the attack plan on New Years in Brussels on Thursday.

Prosecutors had requested that the other three suspects be remanded in custody for a further 24 hours.

Security forces launched operations on Thursday at six locations in the Belgian capital and one of them just outside the city, confiscating mobile phones, computers, and equipment for airsoft, a sport including guns that shoots non-lethal plastic pellets.

Two Belgian citizens were arrested earlier this week and they were identified as 30-year-old Said S. and 27-year-old Mohammed K. They are also being held for trial on suspicion of plotting a terrorist attack, prosecutors said. A court on Thursday extended their detention period to a month.

On Wednesday, Belgian authorities cancelled a traditional New Year's Eve fireworks display in Brussels due to fears of a potential terror attack.

Since the deadly Paris attacks, Belgium has been on alert level three -which means a potential serious threat. And last month, only Brussels was on the maximum alert level for a four week.

TRTWorld and agencies