Bosnian war commander Naser Oric was released on Friday evening after being questioned by Bosnian prosecution following his extradition to Bosnia by Swiss government.
The first trial of Oric to hear on detention measures will be held on June 29.
“Acting Prosecutor did not seek detention for Oric. When the detention measures were proposed, then there is no legal basis for keeping one in detention,” the court said.
Oric, a former brigadier in Srebrenica during the 90s war, was arrested on June 10 in Berne, Switzerland when he went there upon the invitation of the Bosnian diaspora to attend an event on the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide in which 8,372 Muslim men, women and children were killed.
He was extradited to Bosnia earlier on Friday.
Bosnia and Herzegovina prosecution said in a statement that certain restrictions have been imposed on Oric regarding residence and freedom of movement. The commander is also banned from contacting with the witnesses and suspects involved in the case. Legal process will be begin against him if the rules are broken.
Although the Appellate Chamber of the Hague Tribunal had acquitted Oric in 2008, Serbian Office of Chief Prosecutor issued an arrest warrant for him in 2014 on charges of allegedly committing war crimes against Serbs in 1992 and 1993.
Oric was arrested by Swiss authorities on the basis of an Interpol warrant issued from Belgrad and his detention was reportedly extended to 14 days.
The arrest of Oric had led the Serbian president to cancel his officially scheduled visit to the Bosnian capital of Sarajevo.
Oric commanded the Army of the Republic of Bosnia forces in Srebrenica enclave in eastern Bosnia during the Bosnian war between 1992-1995.
The Srebrenica genocide, widely viewed as the worst atrocity on European soil since World War Two, was the culmination of a campaign of ethnic cleansing by the forces of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic aimed at carving out a Serbian state from ethnically mixed Bosnia.