Terror monitoring group SITE stated that DAESH terrorist organization claimed responsibility for the attacks that hit six different sites in Paris on Friday evening, killing at least 129 people and injuring more than 300 others - total of 80 is in critical condition.
According to an official statement released on Saturday, the group indicated that the attacks were carried out in order to show France that it would remain a top target for them as long as it resumes its current policies adding: “This attack is the first of the storm and a warning to those who wish to learn.”
Two of the attackers were reportedly identified by French police. One of them was said to be French citizen and the other had a Syrian passport on his body.
Media sources have previously claimed that two French policemen said they found a Syrian passport on the body of one of the suicide bombers who targeted Stade de France national soccer stadium.
— SITE Intel Group (@siteintelgroup) 14 Kasım 2015
First attack hit two restaurants
On Nov. 13, France's capital city Paris were hit by several terror attacks. The first attack happened at two restaurants -the Carillon and the Petit Cambodge when gunmen opened fire using automatic guns targeting customers in the Little Cambodia section of the city’s 10th Arrondissement, police officials said.
In another attack, gunfire was heard near the Bataclan Arts Center which is located near the office of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which was also targeted by an Al Qaeda-linked attack in January of this year.
Over 100 people were taken hostage in the theater during a concert by American rock band the The Eagles of Death Metal and at least 85 of them were killed by the gunmen before and during an operation which was carried out by French anti-terrorist commandos to save the hostages.
When the commandos stormed to the hall, three of the attackers detonated suicide vests and the forth was killed by gunfire.
A journalist was among the hostages
Europe 1 journalist, Julien Pierce, who was among the audience in the Bataclan described the situation, saying, "Several armed men came into the concert. Two or three men, not wearing masks, came in with what looked like Kalashnikovs and fired blindly on the crowd."
"It lasted between 10 and 15 minutes. It was extremely violent and there was panic. The attackers had enough time to reload at least three times. They were very young."
Explosions near Stade de France
Separately, three explosions -including two suicide bombings - also took place near the Stade de France where the French national team was playing against Germany, a French security source said.
Some crazy stuff going down in Paris. Explosion just ouside Stade de France https://t.co/43BgTE0V39
— Terje (@ArsenalTerje) 13 Kasım 2015
According to French security forces, French President Francois Hollande was watching the match and was moved to safety.
There was also an unconfirmed shooting in Les Halles, a shopping center near central Paris.
State of emergency declared
Following the attacks, Hollande declared a state of emergency across France, closing national borders. Over 1500 extra troops were deployed to Paris as a security measure.
There had been no state of emergency declared in France since 2005 which was enacted following suburban riots across the country.
"A state of emergency will be declared.The second measure will be the closure of national borders," Hollande said at a press conference after the attack.
Hollande, in a emotional televised address said, "Terrorist attacks of an unprecedented level are underway across the Paris region."
He called on the French nation to stand united against the attackers, adding "it’s a horror."
He also announced the cancellation of his trip to the G20 summit which is set to take place this weekend in Turkey.
Residents of Place de la République evacuated
Authorities evacuated residents of the Place de la Republique, leading a flood of people to pass over the Canal Saint-Martin. They also urged people to stay in their homes for their safety.
One Parisian, Arthur Mejan, a 24 year old who lives near the Place de la Republique described the situation, saying, "What can I say, I’m really shocked. If I look out the windows, the streets are empty, the pubs have closed, there are sirens everywhere. It’s a civil war."
"The police say it’s not safe to be outside."
A ceux qui se trouvent à domicile, chez des proches ou dans des locaux professionnels en IDF d’éviter de sortir sauf nécessité absolue (2/4)
— Préfecture de police (@prefpolice) 13 Kasım 2015
Security measures across the city
Parisian authorties have announced that all metro stations, schools and universities are to be closed.
Security measures have been strengthened across France since the deadly attacks which took place in January targeting Charlie Hebdo and a kosher grocery that left 20 dead, including the three attackers.