French authorities identify one of Paris attackers

French authorities have identified Frenchman Omar Ismail Mostefai from southern Paris suburb of Courcouronnes as one of assailants in Paris attacks in which at least 129 people died, hundreds were wounded

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

French police secure the area outside a cafe near the Bataclan concert hall following fatal shootings in Paris, France, November 13, 2015

Updated Nov 16, 2015

French police announced on Sunday that they have identified one of the attackers as 29-year old French citizen Omar Ismail Mostefai, whose detached finger was found at the Bataclan concert hall, the bloodiest scene of the consecutive attacks that took place on Friday night in Paris.

Mostefai was among three suicide bombers who blew themselves up after taking over 100 people hostage during a concert by American rock band The Eagles of Death Metal.

Meanwhile, a judicial source stated that three AK47 Kalashnikov rifles were found in the back seat of a car abandoned in the eastern Parisian suburb of Montreuil.

According to eyewitnesses, the car was used by attackers at multiple locations on the evening of November 13, when six different sites in French capital Paris were hit by several consecutive terror attacks that killed at least 129 people and wounded around 352 others, leaving 99 in critical condition.

DAESH terrorist group claimed responsibility for the assaults on Saturday and said “This attack is the first of the storm and a warning to those who wish to learn,” according to terror monitoring group SITE.

What happened?

The first attack targeted patrons at two different restaurants -the Carillon and the Petit Cambodge- in the Little Cambodia section of the city’s 10th Arrondissement.

Eyewitnesses said that they first heard an explosion, but assumed it to be a firecracker. However, minutes later gunmen appeared with automatic rifles and attacked people sitting at the bar, killing 14 people.

In the meantime, five other people were killed in another attack targeting diners near Avenue de la republique.

Shortly after, another explosion was heard five miles away from the first attack site, as two suicide attacks and a bombing were carried out simultaneously near Stade de France while Germany and France were playing an exhibition soccer match.

Four people were killed and many were injured during the explosions.

The fourth attack took place in La Belle Equipe bar, where gunmen opened fire, killing 18 people.

Meanwhile, another civilian was reported to be killed on a street near Boulevard Voltaire.

The last and bloodiest attack hit the Bataclan Concert Hall, causing the deaths of at least 89 people.

Investigation resumes

So far, only one of the seven attackers has been identified, but investigation teams in France, Belgium, Greece and Germany are trying to identify the six attackers and their accomplices.

Paris Chief Prosecutor François Molins confirmed that three teams of DAESH terrorists carried out the bloody Paris attacks.

At least one Syrian passport was found at the scene of the attacks on Saturday, raising suspicion that some of the assailants may have entered Europe with the refugee groups coming in from Syria.  

On Sunday, some Serbian media outlets published the picture of the passport that belongs to Ahmed Almohamed, a 25-year-old Syrian man who entered France on October 7.

Molins said "A Syrian passport in the name of a person born in Syria in September 1990 was found near a suicide bomber who blew himself up at the Stade de France [stadium]."

He also stated that Belgian police detained three people, including a Frenchman at the Belgian border.

“This is only the beginning of the investigation, we are collecting testimony," he added.

TRTWorld and agencies