Hungarian police fire tear gas on refugees at border

Riot police in Hungarian-Serbian border fire tear gas, water cannon and pepper spray on refugees gathered on border

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Refugees clash with Hungarian riot police at the border crossing with Serbia in Roszke, Hungary September 16, 2015.

Updated Sep 17, 2015

Hungarian riot police on Wednesday fired tear gas and water cannon on hundreds of refugees gathered on the Hungarian-Serbian border in an attempt to push them back the border.

Reports said that Hungary will leave the border crossing closed for more than 30 days.

Clashes erupted between riot police and people gathering in front of the border protesting closure of the border-crossing into Hungary.

The people over there were shouting "Open the gate, open the gate."

According to the Guardian, dozens of the refugees injured by the teargas had received medical treatment from the Serbian ambulance service available over the border area.

On Monday, Hungarian government had allowed refugees to pass through small metal gates into Hungary, after scores of Hungarian policemen in helmets shut down the informal crossing preventing refugees from passing.

Hungary-Serbia border

“Croatia will allow refugees to pass through their territory to where ever they want," Croatian Prime Minister, Zoran Milanovic said.

“These people are here ... They do not want to come to Croatia or Hungary either and that is why I do not understand where is the problem of letting them pass through that country,” he added  in criticism of Hungary.

Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban told press that “The country will build a fence along portions of its border with Croatia.”

In 2015, at least 190,000 refugees had entered Hungary from Serbia fleeing the war and poverty in the Middle East and Africa, attempting to arrive on of the European countries.

Hungary is building a metal fence the length of its border with Serbia, which is out of the European Union.

TRTWorld and agencies