The death toll from Wednesday's powerful earthquake in central Italy has risen to 278, as rescue operations in some affected areas come to an end.
Hopes of finding more survivors faded on Friday three days after a powerful earthquake hit central Italy, with the death toll from the quake rising to 278 and rescue operations in some affected areas coming to an end.
Sniffer dogs and emergency crews continued to scour piles of rubble in Amatrice, a picturesque town popular with tourists which was levelled by Wednesday's quake and where 207 bodies have been retrieved so far.
Using shovels, hoes and rakes, a group of about 20 migrants also helped to prepare the ground for tents and cleared a field for helicopter landings.
A group of migrants is helping earthquake relief efforts in Pescara del Tronto.https://t.co/guHq1LongV— Reuters World (@ReutersWorld) August 26, 2016
Mayor Sergio Pirozzi said around 15 people, including some children and the local baker, had not been accounted for. "Only a miracle can bring our friends back alive from the rubble, but we are still digging because many are missing," he told reporters.
In nearby villages such as Pescara del Tronto rescuers pulled out after all the missing had been accounted for.
Italy plans to hold a state funeral for around 40 of the victims on Saturday, which will be held in the nearby city of Ascoli Piceno.
A day of national mourning has been announced, with flags due to fly at half mast around the country for the dead who include a number of foreigners.
The civil protection department in Rome said nearly 400 people were being treated for injuries in hospitals and 40 of them were in critical condition. An estimated 2,500 people were left homeless by the most deadly quake in Italy since 2009.
Survivors with nowhere else to go are sleeping in neat rows of blue tents set up by emergency services close to their flattened communities. The government has promised to rebuild the region, but some local people feared that would never happen.
"We may be the last ones to have lived in Trisunga," he said.
More than 920 aftershocks have hit the area since the original 6.2 magnitude quake struck early on Wednesday.
By Friday most of the outlying communities were quiet and empty, with buildings lying in crumpled mounds, the innards of private homes exposed to the skies and belongings lying scattered in the debris.
"We have removed the last bodies that we knew about," said Paolo Cortelli, a member of the Alpine Rescue national service who helped to recover about 30 bodies from Pescara del Tronto.
"We don't know, and we might never know, if the number of missing that we knew about actually corresponds to the people who were actually under the rubble."
Several foreigners died in the disaster, including six Romanians, a Spanish woman, a Canadian and an Albanian. The British embassy in Rome declined to comment on reports that three Britons, including a 14-year-old boy, had died.
The area is popular with holidaymakers and local authorities were struggling to pin down how many visitors were present when the quake hit.
The Romanian Foreign Ministry said 17 Romanians were still missing. Italy has a large Romanian community and some of the victims were resident in the country.
Italy has a poor record of rebuilding after quakes. About 8,300 people who were forced to leave their homes after a deadly earthquake in L'Aquila in 2009 are still living in temporary accommodation.
This latest disaster represents a major political challenge for Renzi, who has been in office for two years. Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi was widely criticised for what was perceived to be a botched response to the L'Aquila calamity.
Renzi declined to predict when the homeless might be rehoused. "This is not about setting challenges and making promises. We need the pace of a marathon runner," he said.
Most of the buildings in the area were built hundreds of years ago, long before any anti-seismic building norms were introduced, helping to explain the widespread destruction.
Cultural Minister Dario Franceschini said all 293 culturally important sites, many of them churches, had either collapsed or been seriously damaged.
Italy sits on two fault lines, making it one of the most seismically active countries in Europe. Almost 30 people died in earthquakes in northern Italy in 2012 while more than 300 died in 2009's L'Aquila disaster.