London attacker’s brother says police were warned earlier

Brother of London metro knife attacker says that police had been warned before incident

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

A police officer patrols outside Leytonstone Underground station in east London, Britain on December 6, 2015

The family of a man that carried out a stabbing attack at London underground train station in a suspected terror attack had earlier called the authorities to warn them of his erratic behaviour, his brother Mohamed Mire said on Tuesday.

Mohamed added that his brother Muhaydin was suffering from paranoia and hallucinations which got worse with drug use but he was evaluated as being no threat to the public.

"Drugs influenced him, just cannabis," Mohamed said.

"It gave him mental problem. He was diagnosed by doctors and treated in 2007 for paranoia. He was in hospital for three months in 2007," he added.

According to his statements, Muhaydin then recovered from that bout and went on working for taxi firm Uber but he returned to his former situation and became slightly mentally unstable.

"That started in August of this year. He started calling me up and saying odd things...Not radical, it's a bit like jumping around talking nonsense and sort of like talking saying he's seeing demons and stuff, people following him,” Mohamed said.

"We tried to call the local authority, they could not help him because they said he's no harm to people and he's no harm to himself...I talked to the police and they came and looked at him and that was 22 October,” he added.

The attacker Muhaydin Mire, 29, is charged with attempted murder of three people after a stabbing attack at the east London underground train station of Leytonstone on Saturday evening, shortly after he and his family had decided that he leave Britain.

"I decided to book a ticket for him on this Sunday. He was okay as far as I know...He wanted to go,” Mohamed said.

Police officers investigate a crime scene at Leytonstone underground station in east London, Britain on December 6, 2015 (Reuters)

Muhaydin appeared in court on Monday. During a brief hearing, he spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address. He will stay in custody until Friday, the day he will appear in court again at the Old Bailey in London.

Prosecutors claimed that Muhaydin punched a victim to the ground and kicked him before cutting a 12-centimetre wound into the victim’s neck.

The victim, referred to in court as Male A, was in surgery for five hours after the attack, the prosecution said.

Prosecutors also claimed that a number of images and flags related to the terrorist group DAESH were later found on Muhaydin’s mobile phone.

After the attack some people took to Twitter using the #YouAintNoMuslimBruv hashtag to protest against attackers who try to misuse Islam to justify attacks on unarmed civilians.

"Some of us have dedicated speeches and media appearances and soundbites and everything on this subject, but 'You ain't no Muslim bruv' said it all much better than I ever could. Thank you, that will be applauded around the country," British Prime Minister David Cameron ​said.

The attack was evaluated as being terror-related by the police.

The UK is currently on its second-highest alert level, fearing a terrorist attack could be imminent, particularly after attacks in Paris carried out by DAESH sympathisers killed 130 people on Nov. 13.

With hundreds of British citizens having travelled to Syria to join the DAESH terrorist group, an attack was expected, especially after UK lawmakers voted to commence air strikes against DAESH targets in Syria on Wednesday.

TRTWorld and agencies