Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Tuesday that he will attend ceremonies marking the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre in Bosnia on July 11.
"It is time to show that we are ready for reconciliation and that we are ready to bow our head before other people's' victims," Vucic told reporters.
Over 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed within four days in the July of 1995 by Bosnian Serb death units as they took control of the besieged town of Srebrenica, that had been put under the protection of UN troops as a designated “safe area.”
The Serbian troops were declared perpetrators of a massacre in a war crimes tribunal in The Hague in 2006, and Bosnian Serb leaders Radovan Karadzic and general Ratko Mladic are yet to receive a verdict for their roles in the massacre.
Dutch troops are also blamed for looking aside the actions of the Serbs and not engaging for the protection of the vulnerable. They are also accused of overlooking the Serbs abusing, torturing and separating women and young children from their male quarry.
The Srebrenica massacre in July 1995 rattled the Balkans as well as the Muslim world and led to mass protests in the Muslim countries.
The Srebrenica massacre, widely viewed as the worst atrocity on European soil since World War Two, was the culmination of a campaign of ethnic cleansing by the forces of Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic aimed at carving out a Serbian state from ethnically mixed Bosnia.
The massacre, organised by the Serb authorities under the former leader of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic and his aide Ratko Mladic, resulted in the death of 8,372 Bosnian Muslims.
UN Resolutions 819 and 836 had designated Srebrenica as a “safe haven” to be protected by Dutch UN forces using "all necessary means, including the use of force," before the massacre.
Continued attacks on UN Safe Areas as well as the continued Siege of Sarajevo also ultimately resulted in a NATO intervention named Operation Deliberate Force in Bosnia and Herzegovina.