Both Ukrainian officials and pro-Russian separatists confirmed that there has been shelling on town of Marinka. Both sides have been blaming each other since the bombardment started.
While both sides accused each other of the shelling, the cease-fire in the region seems to be questioned.
The eastern Ukrainian self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) Defence Minister Vladimir Kononov accused Ukraine saying: “At 3:05am [00:05 GMT] Ukraine began shelling along the entire front and by 4:30am three were dead.”
“A minimum of 15 people have been killed in the DPR since the beginning of the full-scale shelling by the Ukrainian Security Forces along the entire contact line,” Kononov added.
“This provocation is to blame us in attempts of approaching Marinka, which is already our territory…these types of provocations can lead to war…this is a breach in the Minsk agreements.”
Meanwhile, Ukrainian military spokesman Oleksander Poronyuk said: "The situation began to deteriorate last night, the enemy began to shell our positions ... as a result of these attacks Marinka is still on fire. Twenty minutes ago near Marinka and Krasnogorivka illegal armed groups attacked Ukrainian troop positions.”
Another Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko also accused the separatists saying "The enemy is trying to advance. Ukrainian troops are repelling all attacks and successfully holding onto their positions."
The head of the government-controlled Luhansk region Hennadiy Moskal said an elderly couple died due to the bombardment within the Ukrainian territory.
On the other hand, Russian Tass agency claimed that more than 60 injured came to Donetsk trauma centre during the bombardment on Wednesday.
Ukraine’s separatist war calmed down when the OSCE-mediated ceasefire was sealed in the Belarussian capital Minsk, but the fragile peace was sporadically violated by both Kiev forces and the separatists.
The Kiev government has vowed to protect its territorial integrity as Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has been reiterating several times that they would take back the breakaway regions since the conflict erupted.
Ukrainian leadership still suspects that whether Moscow abides by the agreed armistice in Minsk since violations have recently increased again in the Donbass region.
Ukrainian Defence Minister Stepan Poltorak said on Thursday Russia has been keeping its frontline forces in the east where Kiev army and the pro-Russian separatists could resume the clashes soon despite the fragile ceasefire.
Russia denies such allegations and accusations claimed by Kiev and says that its soldiers have only been patrolling the porous borders with the eastern Ukraine.
Authorities in Ukraine have shown two Russian soldiers who were captured during a battle with the pro-Russian separatists in the country’s east on Sunday.
The capture of the soldiers comes just days after the release of a report published by the Russian opposition claiming at least 220 Russian soldiers were killed in the war in eastern Ukraine in the past year.
Last week, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg urged Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to pull back all troops and heavy artilleries from Ukraine as well as to stop supporting the separatists in the region.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko announced this month that the separatist war in the east had caused the death of 7,000 people so far whereas the UN released this week the death toll in Ukraine’s one year of conflict as being 6,417 people.