Spain asserted on Wednesday that it is trying to find out what happened to its three freelance journalists who have gone missing in the war-torn Aleppo, in Syria’s north.
The three Spaniards are Antonio Pampliega, Jose Manuel Lopez and Angel Sastre.
The three had travelled to Syria to report on the country’s civil war and humanitarian crisis before going missing.
Another journalist is also missing, who happens to be Japanese, and went missing almost a month ago.
Spain’s Justice Minister Rafael Catala said the country has no information on what happened to the three journalists, and will get in touch with Syria regarding their whereabouts.
The journalists went missing on July 13, according to the Spanish journalist association who reported their disappearance on Tuesday.
The president of the association said that the three journalists were all well experienced in covering news in Syria, and they know what to do in tough situations.
It is unknown however, whether the case is a kidnapping.
Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia Margallo said the case should be dealt with under “maximum discretion” and “tranquility” as similar situations in the past did not end with negative outcomes for Spain.
Three other Spanish journalists were held hostage in Syria last year, and released after months.
The abduction of journalists has been on the rise in Syria after the insurgency of ISIS. Media organisations have avoided covering the situation in the country due to the high risk of danger.
ISIS is still controlling a swath of territory larger than Britain extending from eastern Syria to northern and western Iraq.