The United Kingdom will continue to extend its troops in Afghanistan throughout the 2016 for following continual security challenge faced by Afghan forces, Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said on Tuesday.
The Taliban has started continued attacks since the withdrawal of most foreign troops last year. Many districts in the country are now fully or partially under Taliban control.
Michael Fallon said there are around 450 soldiers in Afghanistan will remain for another year amid deteriorating security in the country.
‘’We therefore made plans to review our commitment in light of its performance over the year and the overall security situation.’’ Michael Fallon said.
‘’I would like to inform the House that we have now concluded that we should maintain the scale of the UK’s current military mission in the country in 2016, to help build a secure and stable Afghanistan,’’ he added.
According to Michael Fallon, ‘’The scope and role of the UK mission are unchanged.’’
Afghanistan government said it supports the decision of Britain to continue its military presence.
However, Britain is part of NATO’s Resolute Support Mission, it can provide training, advice and assistance for the Afghan security forces and institutions.
The decision follows an announcement by President Barack Obama earlier this month that the US will keep 9,800 troops in Afghanistan until the end of his presidency in 2017, also promised to end the war in Afghanistan and described Afghanistan’ security as ‘’very fragile.’’