18 Turkish citizens were kidnapped in Shi'ite district of Habibiya, Baghdad, based on a statement released by Nurol Holding which is the employer of the kidnapped workers and engineers.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said that the Turkish authorities are in contact with their counterparts in Iraq and trying to find out who is behind the kidnapping.
Kurtulmus also said that no contact had been established yet with the missing Turkish soldier, following a cross-border fire from ISIS territory in northern Syria on Tuesday, causing the death of another Turkish soldier.
Iraqis security officials stated that the eighteen workers employed by a Turkish construction company in charge of building a sports complex in the eastern Baghdad district of Sadr City, were taken in the northeastern district of Habibiya early on Wednesday.
CEO of the construction company, Ugur Dogan said, "People dressed in military uniforms broke in at 3 am and abducted all of our employees."
The kidnappers reportedly stormed the construction site just before dawn on Wednesday, where the workers were sleeping in their caravans, and took them away in several SUVs. Iraqi officials, spoke on condition of anonymity, sad neither the identity nor the motives of the kidnappers were immediately known.
Last year 46 Turkish citizens were seized by ISIS militants in Mosul, but were released unharmed after more than three months in captivity.
Turkey recently began launching airstrikes against ISIS in northern Syria and allowing U.S. warplanes to use bases in southeastern Turkey to strike against the group.