Army chief warns soldiers over plot to destabilise Guinea-Bissau

Guinea-Bissau army chief says soldiers plotting to destabilise country will 'pay with life'

Photo by: AFP (Archive)
Photo by: AFP (Archive)

Guinea-Bissau's President Jose Mario Vaz (R) congratulates new army chief-of-staff, General Biague Na Ntam, during the oath-taking ceremony in September, 2014.

Guinea-Bissau army chief-of-staff, General Na Ntam warned on Thursday that any soldier involved in a plot to destabilise the country would be punish to death.   

While addressing the army, General Na Ntam said soldiers should expect a delay in receiving their salaries for January and February, citing the state’s "financial difficulties."

He also said  that there would be "zero tolerance in the barracks," while soldiers found "taking money to attempt a subversive act will pay with their life."

"Any soldier who fires so much as a shot [against Guinea-Bissau] will be killed. There will be no prison for him. I ask the heads of various units to kill anyone who fires a single shot," the general said during a ceremony to mark his involvement in peace efforts.  

"Peace must reign in this country, and it is the army's job to ensure this happens."

A serving member of the air force told AFP that about 10 people had been arrested on suspicion of "preparing an act that would destabilise the country."

However, the claim could not be confirmed by the army or any other sources.

Since independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau has been hit by series of coups, but the rule of law has been largely reintroduced after the election of President Jose Mario Vaz last year.