Baby among three Palestinians killed by Israeli soldiers

Israeli fire kills three Palestinians, including eight-month-old baby, in West Bank and Gaza protests

Photo by: AFP
Photo by: AFP

A Palestinian paramedic seen stepping out of an ambulance carrying the body of eight-month-old Ramadan Thawabteh, who died on October 30 2015

The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed on Friday that a baby named Ramadan Mohammed Faisal Thawabta, died after inhaling tear gas during clashes that took place in West Bank and Gaza.

According to Abu Anan, a Red Crescent medic, Israeli soldiers fired tear gas into the house where the family resides, while Israeli forces and Palestinians were clashing. 

“We went to the family house and we tried to save his life, but we failed. He was dead,” Anan said.

The baby’s body was taken to Beit Jala State Hospital.

Following the death of the baby, Israeli Army said that they were investigating the incident.

The father of eight-month-old Palestinian baby Ramadan Thawabtah holds his son while waiting for his funeral in the West Bank city of Bethlehem on October 31 2015

Unrest and uprisings have been going on for decades against the Israeli forces.

The ministry also confirmed the death of Qasem Sabaana, 20, and the injury of a 17-year-old, who remains unidentified, at a checkpoint south of Nablus located in the occupied West Bank.

The Israeli police fired at least seven shots at the Palestinian who is now left fighting for his life in the hospital, an Al Jazeera journalist who witnessed the incident reported.

Another incident took place earlier Friday, when Qassem Mahmoud Sabaneh, was shot dead after being accused of allegedly attacking an Israeli border policeman in Nablus, and Ahmad Hamada Qneibi, 23, succumbed to his wounds inflicted earlier in the morning after attacking and injuring an Israeli in occupied East Jerusalem.

Train security officers shot the alleged attacker on the light rail in occupied East Jerusalem with live ammunition after he allegedly attacked an Israeli settler, the police said.

Palestinian mourners carry the body of Qasem Sabaneh, 20, who was shot dead by Israeli troops, during his funeral in Qabatya town near the West Bank city of Jenin on October 30, 2015.

Since the wave of violence - the worst one since the 2014 Gaza war -  began early in October, over 60 Palestinians have been killed by Israelis in the occupied West Bank and Gaza.

Al Jazeera's Stefanie Dekker in Jerusalem reported that the city has become heavily monitored by Israeli police officers, especially Palestinians.

"Israeli security forces have clamped down on occupied East Jerusalem; it's completely surrounded. People have to walk one by one, Palestinians often have to lift their shirts to show they are not carrying a weapon," Dekker said.

International human rights organisation, Amnesty International has criticised Israeli forces for using “extreme and unlawful measures."

It described the killings of some Palestinians as "extrajudicial executions" saying the victims did not pose imminent threat to Israeli security forces at the time of their death.

"In some cases, Israeli forces appear to have ripped up the rulebook and resorted to extreme and unlawful measures," the group said.

"They seem increasingly prone to using lethal force against anyone they perceive as posing a threat, without ensuring that the threat is real."

In recent weeks, at least 17 Palestinians are reported to have died in clashes between protesters and Israeli forces in northern and eastern borders of Gaza Strip.

Medical sources stated that over 50 Palestinians were injured by Israeli gunfire in Gaza and that two of them suffered critical injuries.

Protests erupt

The Palestinian town of Al Bireh, located on the outskirts of Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, saw Palestinian-led protests that were sparked due to the continuous deaths of Palestinian civilians by Israeli forces.

Witnesses stated that around 500 Palestinians were protesting.

Mohannad Darabee, a photographer at the protest, reported that Israeli troops shot at least one protester in the chest with live ammunition.

"Medics told us he is in critical condition," Darabee told Al Jazeera, adding that another Palestinian protester has an israeli Jeep run over him.

The video showing an Israeli military Jeep running over the protester was captured by Orient Radio, a local media outlet.

"When medics tried to help him and journalists approached the area, the soldiers attacked all of them with pepper spray and [tear] gas. Then they arrested the man [who was run over],"Darabee continued.

A Palestinian protester lies in front of an Israeli military jeep after being run over during clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli soldiers at the entrance of the Palestinian town of Al-Bireh, on October 30, 2015.

"People are angry about the martyr killed in Nablus. They [Israeli forces] are firing a lot of live ammunition and rubber-coated steel bullets - they are shooting indiscriminately," Darabee said.

Israeli forces were also attacking Palestinian protesters in areas across Gaza's border with Israel, Ezz Zanoun, a Gaza-based photographer, reported.

"Two journalists have been hit with rubber-coated steel bullets" near the Nahal Oz Israeli military outpost located in an area near the eastern Gaza City, Zanoun told Al Jazeera.

He added by stating that at least 2,000 people have participated in the demonstrations.

"The Israelis are using rubber-coated steel bullets and tear gas," he said. "Participation in the protests here in Gaza is growing."

Witnesses added that Israeli soldiers cursed at the protesters in both Hebrew and Arabic, as they waved an Israeli flag at them.

"The soldiers did not wait long to open fire," said Zanoun. "The feeling among Palestinians is that this has become something routine for them, to fire quickly."

A Palestinian protester lies under an Israeli military jeep after being run over on October 30 2015


TRTWorld and agencies